One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have experience of the appropriate procedures.
- ‘He has been in the limelight for six years now and knows the ropes.’
- ‘Once you know the ropes, blogging is easy - and fun.’
- ‘The customs officials and immigration officers know the ropes and take you through every step - this is their job and they do it well.’
- ‘Needless to say, I could use some direction and encouragement from someone who knows the ropes.’
- ‘One of the most efficient and safest ways to see the most sights in the least amount of time is with a tour guide who knows the ropes.’
- ‘He had traveled a lot overseas on business and kind of knew the ropes… but we were too tired to care.’
- ‘They are welcomed, encouraged and helped by the friendly staff and older members who already know the ropes.’
- ‘I have been to Thailand a few times, so I know the ropes, or at least I think I do.’
- ‘But having people there from home who knew the ropes made it a lot easier for me.’
- ‘He had minimal playing experience in the majors, but he has been in baseball since the '70s and knows the ropes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.