One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who behaves as if they know everything.
- ‘He's a bit like the annoying know-it-all that every office has.’
- ‘Here's a pop quiz for you 22-year-old know-it-alls…’
- ‘First, adolescents are frequently know-it-alls who believe that they are smarter than everyone else.’
- ‘Instead we've become a nation of arrogant know-it-alls.’
- ‘Most reviewers, like you, are pretentious know-it-alls who won't betray any weakness.’
- ‘Policing may look easy from the outside, especially when some know-it-alls have a few drinks in their systems.’
- ‘How do you sell yourself without coming across as a know-it-all?’
- ‘It was good to share some of my learning with the group, but I was also conscious of not appearing like a know-it-all.’
- ‘Shy folk shouldn't worry too much as there are always a few know-it-alls with their hands waving in the air, begging for attention.’
- ‘In other words, he comes across as a vainglorious know-it-all, absolutely convinced that he's right about everything.’
- ‘The ones I liked I value to this day but an overwhelming number have proved themselves to be the domineering, humourless, bad-mannered know-it-alls I always suspected they were.’
- ‘I see now that we must have come across as a bunch of know-it-alls.’
- ‘The world hates a know-it-all anyway, and geeks especially so.’
- ‘This isn't somewhere for pretentious know-it-alls to sneer at those who do not know a Monet from a Matisse.’
- ‘I didn't like her at first because she seemed to be a know-it-all, she rolled her eyes at me a lot whenever I was trying to be funny.’
- ‘Her coworkers were nothing short of arrogant know-it-alls who constantly reminded her that she would never succeed at anything she attempted.’
- ‘Nobody likes a know-it-all, but nobody likes a dummy either.’
- ‘He's all right, if you like loud, annoying know-it-alls.’
- ‘Yes, he's a smarmy know-it-all with the personality of a hall monitor, the kind of guy everyone hides from at a Christmas party.’
- ‘Somehow, in our society, know-it-alls always get the short end of the stick.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.