One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The time at which a person stops work for the day.‘at knocking-off time they all head out to the pub’
- ‘I'll frequently be here long after the six o'clock knocking-off time, while I know that the latecomers will be out the door as the chimes are still fading.’
- ‘There used to be hundreds and hundreds of people pouring out of the factory when the hooter went at knocking-off time.’
- ‘They simply watch the clock and discuss knocking-off time while leaning miserably on Formica counters.’
- ‘The staff didn't want to get involved in a drawn-out commercial transaction that might cause them to have to stay past their knocking-off time.’
- ‘Staggered knocking-off times have been suggested as a way of beating rush-hour congestion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.