One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very small or very young.
tiny, small, little, petite, minute, miniature, mini, minuscule, microscopic, nanoscopic, small-scale, compact, pocket, toy, midget, undersized, short, stubby, elfin, dwarfish, dwarf, pygmy, bantam, homuncular, lilliputianView synonyms
- ‘‘They're a band I've loved since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, although I'm not much taller than that now,’ says Braithwaite.’
- ‘I haven't been on a bouncy castle since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.’
- ‘Since I was knee-high to a grasshopper I have frequented this beautiful old house and farm, romped in its hay-barns, swum in its streams, and played hide and seek in the rambling old farmhouse.’
- ‘I adored this show when I was but knee-high to a grasshopper, and now it returns, and I'm happy to say that it's just as exciting, just as action-packed, and just as enjoyable as I remembered.’
- ‘Using my keen journalistic observation skills, I note that she would have been only knee-high to a grasshopper during her favourite decade.’
- ‘She has been helping out and diving from her dad's boat since she was knee-high to a grasshopper.’
- ‘This is one of my favourite arias from one of my favourite oratorios, and a piece I have known since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.’
- ‘I have played since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.