Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Greek dish consisting of lamb marinated with lemon juice and herbs and cooked slowly in a sealed container.
- ‘There is also a restaurant attached, and the speciality is kleftiko, a slow-roasted Greek lamb dish.’
- ‘The menu features Greek classics such as Moussaka (a mince and aubergine lasagne-type dish), Spanakopita (spinach and feta parcels) and Kleftiko (lamb shanks).’
- ‘For a memorable main course, there is a wonderful lamb and vegetable concoction - kleftiko - topped with melted cheese or grilled swordfish steaks.’
- ‘Meat specialties include moussaka, kleftiko (a lamb dish) and stifado - an aromatic beef stew.’
- ‘My favourite dish is stifado, though kleftiko runs a close second.’
Greek klephtiko, from klephtikos relating to the klephts (see klepht).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.