Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Greek dish consisting of lamb marinated with lemon juice and herbs and cooked slowly in a sealed container.
- ‘For a memorable main course, there is a wonderful lamb and vegetable concoction - kleftiko - topped with melted cheese or grilled swordfish steaks.’
- ‘My favourite dish is stifado, though kleftiko runs a close second.’
- ‘The menu features Greek classics such as Moussaka (a mince and aubergine lasagne-type dish), Spanakopita (spinach and feta parcels) and Kleftiko (lamb shanks).’
- ‘Meat specialties include moussaka, kleftiko (a lamb dish) and stifado - an aromatic beef stew.’
- ‘There is also a restaurant attached, and the speciality is kleftiko, a slow-roasted Greek lamb dish.’
Greek klephtiko, from klephtikos relating to the klephts (see klepht).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.