One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric horn or a similar loud warning device.‘the tug blew its klaxon three times’
- ‘After all the excitement had died down and we were getting on with what we were doing beforehand, the fire klaxon sounded again.’
- ‘Alarm klaxons started to sound throughout the corridors.’
- ‘As a police helicopter thundered overhead, many of the demonstrators sounded klaxons and blew horns to make their point.’
- ‘Somewhere, off in the distance, a klaxon sounded and everyone around me started running.’
- ‘Warning klaxons went off, flooding the room with flashing red light.’
Early 20th century: from the name of the manufacturing company.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.