One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prehistoric refuse heap which marks an ancient settlement, chiefly containing bones, shells, and stone implements.
- ‘Along the coast of Southern California are many kitchen middens, where ancient Californians tossed refuse from their dinners.’
- ‘If bones of animals are found in kitchen middens it is proof that they were eaten by people.’
- ‘Shell middens, also known as kitchen middens, are archeological sites formed through the accumulation of domestic refuse consisting primarily of mollusc shells.’
- ‘Archaeologists and anthropologists use the kitchen middens of older civilizations to learn about life during that time period.’
- ‘Some of these kitchen middens are very valuable to archaeologists; they tell us a lot about the lives of our ancestors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.