One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small nocturnal fox with a yellowish-gray back and large, close-set ears, found in the deserts and plains of the southwestern US.
Vulpes macrotis, family Canidae
- ‘Twenty threatened or endangered species make their home there, including the peregrine falcon and San Joaquin kit fox.’
- ‘They became the first naturalists to describe several animals, including the coyote, kit fox, Oregon bobcat and the wolf of the plains.’
- ‘Tracks of kit foxes and coyotes commonly crisscross the wash bottoms; the hoof marks of collared peccaries are often stamped over everything.’
- ‘A kit fox family alone may use up to 50 burrows in a season, moving its young every few days.’
- ‘California's third largest forest is home to more than 20 threatened and endangered species, such as the San Joaquin kit fox, the hybrid blunt-nosed leopard lizard and the California condor.’
Early 19th century: kit probably from kit (because of its small size).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.