One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A relative known well enough to be greeted with a kiss.
- ‘To me it sounds like we're all stupid, helpless idiots, no different from our kissing cousins, the chimpanzees, trying to learn the Pythagorean theorem.’
- ‘Outsourcing and shared services have always been related, but the Web promises to make them kissing cousins.’
- ‘Philip realizes that ‘It can be said - has been said - that I write the kind of poetry that can be described as language poetry - kissing cousins with it at least’.’
- ‘For rank-and-file Democrats, reformers and Republicans were kissing cousins.’
- ‘That is not to say that the parts are interchangeable, for they are not, but they are surely kissing cousins.’
- ‘Innovation and entrepreneurship may not be perfect synonyms, but semantically the two are at least kissing cousins.’
- ‘For one thing, none of the 10 shorthaired breeds in existence in the late 1960s looked anything like the Persian's kissing cousin.’
- ‘Trial lawyers and MTV are bastions of liberalism and, therefore, kissing cousins.’
- ‘All of it going to kissing cousins of those who had to approve the deal.’
- ‘Yet another kissing cousin of the socialist Progressive Challenge is the Congressional Progressive Caucus.’
- ‘I need all the support I can get to show Magick and Quantum Physics are kissing cousins…’
- ‘Pharmacologically, caffeine is a kissing cousin of theophylline, and in high doses it can produce sympathomimetic effects.’
- ‘As any woman who's been pregnant knows, the uterus and the bladder are kissing cousins inside your abdomen.’
- ‘Now my hair is short, a kissing cousin to a bob (less formal angles), and it's choppy and almost punk rock looking.’
- ‘Uncle Sam's nephews were hardly kissing cousins, and the contrast with the happy family who were the European side was more than marked.’
- 1.1 Something that is of a very similar character to another thing of the same type.‘beneath the surface, gospel music and the blues are kissing cousins’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.