One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large penguin native to Antarctic islands as well as the Falklands and other subantarctic islands.
Aptenodytes patagonica, family Spheniscidae
- ‘The king penguin feeds on fish, but specializes in eating squid.’
- ‘The rest stay aboard a 233-foot Finnish research vessel, taking day trips to see the island's king penguins, elephant seals, and giant petrels.’
- ‘Similar in size to present-day yellow-eyed or king penguins, Waimanu penguins stood about 26 to 30 inches tall.’
- ‘While king penguins are a sub-Antarctic species, being based on islands dotted around the continent, emperor penguins are animals of the deep south.’
- ‘Although their habitat is warmer than that of emperor penguins, king penguins have four layers of feathers and huddle together for warmth.’
king penguin/kiNG ˈpeNGɡwən/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.