One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being kind, warmhearted, or gentle; kindness.
kindness, benevolence, warmth, benignity, gentleness, mildness, tenderness, care, humanity, humaneness, sensitivity, sympathy, compassion, understandingView synonyms
- ‘Despite its essential inequities and hidebound nostalgia, Old England was a gentle place of tolerance, common sense, and universal kindliness.’
- ‘Her friendliness, humble kindliness and her generous disposition won her the hearts of many people who came to know and love her personality.’
- ‘And if there is no kindliness nor understanding between them, what will my boy's fate be?’
- ‘Her common sense and kindliness, combined with an inexorable flow of shrewd jokes, make it easy to see why she has become more than just another author.’
- ‘One reason they gave for moving away from Britain was the erosion of kindliness and good manners in the old country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.