One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually with modifier An enzyme that catalyzes the transfer of a phosphate group from ATP to a specified molecule.
- ‘Protein kinases are enzymes that participate in signal transduction processes and, thus, in the control of cell growth.’
- ‘Protein tyrosine kinases play fundamental roles in signal transduction pathways.’
- ‘In general, protein kinases are enzymes that phosphorylate proteins, which then become activated.’
- ‘Protein kinases turn on other enzymes by a chemical reaction called phosphorylation that adds phosphate tags to proteins.’
- ‘The consequence of these mutations is a cascade phosphorylation of certain serine/threonine protein kinases.’
Early 20th century: from Greek kinein ‘to move’ + -ase.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.