One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of explosive power equivalent to 1,000 tons of TNT.
- ‘Indeed, the conflagration of a single gram of antimatter particles merging with their normal matter siblings would release energy equivalent to about 40 kilotons of TNT, or enough to power nearly 5,000 households for a year.’
- ‘During the past decade, industrial fructan production has increased from 1 kiloton to 100 kilotons annually.’
- ‘Hydrogen bombs (H-bombs) promised yields measured in megatons rather than the kilotons of fission bombs.’
- ‘If this pipeline is built, it has the potential to deliver a devastating blast amounting to the equivalent of some 4 kilotons of TNT.’
- ‘In other words, here is your suitcase bomb: easily man portable, put it in a suitcase or backpack, tens of kilotons of explosive potential, and technology that is 1950s vintage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.