Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in expressing the lengths of nucleic acid molecules) 1,000 bases.
- ‘The numbers on the right refer to the positions of molecular length markers in kilobases.’
- ‘The molecular weights in kilobases of the fragments detected are indicated at the left and right.’
- ‘This figure was used to convert subsequent contour measurements from nanometers to kilobases.’
- ‘Intron lengths are given in kilobases and are not drawn to scale’
- ‘The virus itself is a spherical enveloped virion, between 80 and 160 nm diameter, and has single stranded RNA of about 30 kilobases, the largest genome of all ssRNA viruses.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.