One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Leather made from the skin of a young goat.as modifier ‘a pair of black kidskin gloves’
- ‘And you know that lady has a closet full of drying kidskins.’
- ‘The dress had been delivered to her, along with gloves in cream silk, embroidered kidskin slippers, a silk and tortoiseshell fan, and a tortoiseshell hairgrip in the shape of a butterfly.’
- ‘Blood soaked kidskin gloves were peeled off and discarded, new gloves produced from a pocket and slipped onto milk-white hands.’
- ‘Her boots and gloves were of softest kidskin, and a belt encircled her waist from which hung a deadly, but less heavy version of her master's broadsword.’
- ‘Young men preferred bare legs made possible by wearing short skirts, especially those made from kidskin (lambskin or goatskin) because of its smooth hairs.’
Mid 17th century: from kid + skin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.