One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A reversible carpet made of two cloths of different colors woven together.
- ‘The town had had a weaving industry since the 16th century and Kidderminster carpets are mentioned as early as 1635 in an inventory of a bedchamber of a Lady Lettice, though the precise meaning of the word cannot be clear.’
- ‘It contains samples of real Axminster, Wilton, or Velvet-pile, Patent Axminster, and Kidderminster carpets.’
- ‘The flat carpet - woven without a pile - became an instant success and was known as Kidderminster carpet.’
- ‘Stourport, Bridgnorth and Bewdley - all had manufacturing connections with the Kidderminster carpet industry.’
- ‘Disappointment has turned to delight for concert organisers who reached a magical milestone thanks to the generosity of Kidderminster carpet companies.’
Late 17th century: named after Kidderminster, a center of carpet-making.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.