One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bass drum played using a pedal.
- ‘For example, a bass line generated from a kick drum ends up sounding like it's really dragging behind the beat.’
- ‘The stereo system is stripped and a 500,000-watt system is put in, one that causes sonic booms every time a kick drum plays.’
- ‘Tonight's show was betrayed by a poor sound mix, it was very heavy on the kick drum, plus the guitars were buried down in it.’
- ‘And then there's me, lost among the stacked clutter of snares, cymbals and a kick drum.’
- ‘Generally speaking, for most rock or jazz sounding kick drums you are going to want to use beaters with felt on the ends.’
- ‘And a drummer who is serious about recording really ought to keep a kick drum especially for that purpose.’
- ‘They had a ‘drum kit’ consisting of a lone cymbal, kick drum and snare.’
- ‘The drums quickly kick in with a fast snare and an even faster kick drum.’
- ‘The drummer rarely plays on the beat, often just skittering about on the rims of his drums, placing well-timed thumps with his kick drum and splashing about on his cymbals.’
- ‘There's bass and lead guitar work with various levels of distortion, a drum set that doesn't let up on the kick drum or hi-hat, and a decent pop vocalist.’
- ‘I like that sound that's going through all the frequencies in the background, playing along with the kick drum, at least in the verse's opening.’
- ‘The beat of the kick drum is the sound of a brass doorknocker thumping outside the vast, hollow halls of limbo.’
- ‘For the entire length of the song, there is a kick drum on the 1st and 3rd beats, and a snare on the 2nd and 4th.’
- ‘Musicians can waste hours on a kick drum, so you have to be careful of stuff like that.’
- ‘Liz's vocals range from operatic to grunge, I play flute and kick drum at the same time and Jodie plays around with different rhythms on the cello.’
- ‘Often, just the snare and kick drums are sufficient, but if you play a style that uses a good amount of toms or cymbals, you can add triggers to those drums too.’
- ‘Also vary up the beat - move the kick drums around a little, and occasionally add another snare or something.’
- ‘The kick drum and bass were tight and clear, and the top end was smooth and easy on my ears.’
- ‘The production here is a little better, although the guitars are buried in the mix, and the kick drum is too loud.’
- ‘Fast airwaves, like those created by cymbals, are not going to be picked up as much by the speaker as the low end of the kick drum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.