Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of martial art that combines boxing with elements of karate, in particular kicking with bare feet.
pugilism, fighting, sparring, fisticuffsView synonyms
- ‘John became involved in kick-boxing and self-defence as a result of a bad childhood experience.’
- ‘A kick-boxing instructor is appealing for help to raise cash so talented youngsters can compete in a European contest.’
- ‘I started Pilates, I'm doing tai chi and kick-boxing, and I've even done the saxophone to help my breathing.’
- ‘There are also many alternative sports that mix teamwork and individual performance such as kick-boxing or Kendo.’
- ‘I've just started kick-boxing lessons which are a great help.’
- ‘A chance for martial arts fans to learn Thai kick-boxing is coming soon.’
- ‘He is also said to claim he is afraid of fireworks, no longer enjoys ju-jitsu and kick-boxing and is depressed about television shows containing gunfire, said the paper.’
- ‘Also, I did a lot more exercise than I normally do, and tried some extraordinary sports, like kick-boxing and water aerobics, and felt physically better than I had in years.’
- ‘She was tutored by many professionals to sky-dive, white water raft, handle any kind of weaponry and she was a professional in jujitsu, karate, tae kwon do, kick-boxing and tai-chi.’
- ‘She told me last week she once did kick-boxing and was interested in taking it up again when she moves to Sheffield!’
- ‘It is a fun packed routine using moves from kick-boxing, karate and aerobics.’
- ‘Many certifications currently promote different styles of aerobic kick-boxing.’
- ‘Thai kick-boxing is a very popular spectator sport and is regularly televised.’
- ‘Paul is quite sporty anyway and does kick-boxing as well.’
- ‘The 20-year-old faced an opponent with more than 50 fights under his belt in boxing and kick-boxing.’
- ‘Reportedly he's taken a new approach to his training this offseason, involving kick-boxing.’
- ‘So I stopped eating fried foods and stopped eating bread after 2 o'clock, and started taking up kick-boxing, which is a really good workout.’
- ‘I've been into kick-boxing and karate for several years, and I practice one or the other just about every day.’
- ‘Yoga, kick-boxing and tae kwon do, among other activities, are part of the program.’
- ‘People patiently wait in a queue talking about topics including tree preservation orders and social security payments while enthusiastic kids in kick-boxing suits run in and out of the centre.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.