One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Containing or made from keratin.
- ‘A punch biopsy of an alopecic patch on his scalp showed pigment casts with keratinous debris in the follicles, distortion of the hair shafts, and an increased number of catagen hairs.’
- ‘Strictly, the exoskeleton is restricted to keratinous elements such as horns, nails, claws, hairs, feathers, etc.’
- ‘In addition to the tubules, the epithelial cells may also form nests, cords, single cells, micropapillae, and keratinous cysts.’
- ‘In both skin and hair care products, the liberated carbon dioxide also functions to facilitate the delivery of active or functional substances to keratinous substrates, such as skin and hair.’
- ‘The wing spurs are keratinous structures that grow anteriorly from the carpal-metacarpal joints.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.