One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Change or become changed into a form containing keratin.with object ‘the products of the epidermal line are ultimately keratinized’no object ‘the cells keratinize under estrogenic action’
- ‘The stratum corneum, the top layer, is composed of dead keratinized cells.’
- ‘Earliest changes in the hair follicle occur when the follicular canal becomes blocked with abnormally keratinized desquamating cells.’
- ‘Tumors that arise distally below the dentate line are typically keratinizing squamous cell cancers.’
- ‘Amphibian skin thus appears to have limited options for waterproofing, because it is thin, poorly keratinized, and therefore supple.’
- ‘When oestrogen levels are high the epithelial cells become keratinized or cornified, an effect reversed by progesterone.’
Late 19th century: from Greek keratinos ‘horny’ + -ize.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.