One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fibrous protein forming the main structural constituent of hair, feathers, hoofs, claws, horns, etc.
- ‘Their skin is covered with non-overlapping scales composed of the protein keratin and often studded with bony plates called scutes.’
- ‘Dermatophytes are fungi that can cause infections of the skin, hair and nails because of their ability to feed on keratin.’
- ‘Mammalian hair, made of a protein called keratin, serves at least four functions.’
- ‘Fungal infections usually affect the skin because they live off keratin, a protein that makes up skin, hair and nails.’
- ‘Cat claws are made of keratin, a protein also found in human nails.’
- ‘The structures had probably been covered with keratin, the same protein found in fingernails, horns, and claws.’
- ‘They are unable to grow in living tissues but instead can multiply in structures containing keratin.’
- ‘Actin and keratin both share with byssal threads a tendency to recover initial modulus and stress upon relaxation.’
- ‘The slightly flattened spikes were covered with keratin, the same protein found in horns, fingernails, and claws.’
- ‘Each hair is made of tough and stretchable protein called keratin, manufactured by the hair follicle.’
- ‘Chemical constituents include keratin and eukeratin as well as other proteins, peptides and free amino acids.’
- ‘Gecko spatulae are made of keratin, the protein in human hair.’
- ‘Hair is composed of non-living tissue, mostly of a fibrous protein known as keratin and is devoid of nerves.’
- ‘Cells are laced with a network of fibres more rigid than the rope-like structural proteins collagen and keratin.’
- ‘Amino acids are absorbed by the body to help build keratin, the main protein in hair.’
- ‘Your fingernails are composed of layers of keratin, a protein also found in hair and skin.’
- ‘Animal hair fibers consist of a protein known as keratin.’
- ‘Androgens are also responsible for the increased growth in body hair and an increased shedding of keratin, a protein that can block pores and the flow of sebum.’
- ‘Baleen is made of keratin, the same protein that makes up hair and fingernails, and is strong, yet elastic.’
- ‘The mature nail is a plate of the protein keratin which is also present in hair and skin.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek keras, kerat- ‘horn’ + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.