One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A racing event in which cyclists ride several laps around an indoor track behind a motorized pacesetter before sprinting to the finish.
- ‘The programme will consist of keirin and sprint competitions, an invitation keirin and the head-to-head Britain and France Team Sprint.’
- ‘Her third medal was a bronze in the keirin to go with her gold from the sprint and bronze from the 500 metres time-trial.’
- ‘The Keirin, making its Olympic debut in Sydney, is wildly popular in Japan, where people can bet on professional riders.’
- ‘Staff followed up that success by winning the world Keirin title as Britain claimed two golds, two silvers and a bronze in Melbourne.’
- ‘Nothstein, clearly the most dominant men's sprinter on the track, missed a second medal in the Keirin, finishing fifth.’
1950s: Japanese, literally ‘bicycle race’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.