One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fermented milk drink with a sour taste, made using a culture of yeasts and bacteria.
- ‘Other fermented and probiotic foods include yogurt, kefir, raise, and tempeh.’
- ‘Change the microbial population in your body from bad to good by eating a probiotic diet rich in fermented foods and beverages like kefir and cultured veggies.’
- ‘Popular nonalcoholic beverages other than fruit juices include Turkish-style coffee, a thin yogurt drink called kefir, and a tea known as salep.’
- ‘During a yearlong period ending in early September, sales of flavored milk grew 5.5 percent, while sales of packaged milkshakes, soymilk, kefir and milk substitutes also experienced substantial increases.’
- ‘If the name sounds vaguely familiar, it's because most of us know this microscopic life form as acidophilus, an ingredient commonly found in yogurt, kefir and a few fermented foods.’
- ‘Other low-fat dairy foods to make room for are low-fat cheese, skim milk, kefir and low-fat cottage cheese.’
- ‘Fermented milk products like yogurt and kefir have a long and exotic history.’
- ‘Fermented foods such as miso and sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, and cultured dairy products like yogurt, kefir, sour cream, and cheese contain beneficial bacteria.’
- ‘Like yogurt, kefir is chock full of beneficial bacteria and calcium, but it comes in the form of a fruity creamy drink - no spoon needed!’
- ‘It is also pretty similar in taste to the Middle-Eastern kefir (also drunk in Russia and Eastern Europe) or the Central Asian koumys.’
- ‘Probiotics are available in several forms - through the active cultures found in yogurt, kefir and other dairy products, as well as in capsules, pills and freeze-dried powders.’
- ‘Certain milk products are easier for some lactose-intolerant people to digest, including cultured foods like buttermilk, yogurt and kefir.’
- ‘A nursing mother should eat several servings daily of yogurt, kefir, and buttermilk as well.’
- ‘The smaller of them contained a hot, spiced drink similar to kefir or lassi, thick and slightly alcoholic.’
- ‘When subjects consumed dairy foods after a 12-hour fast, kefir produced only half the amount of flatulence as 2 percent milk.’
- ‘At least once a day, eat a small serving of tempeh, unpasteurized sauerkraut, whole-grain rye bread, or unsweetened kefir.’
- ‘Yogurt, kefir, miso, raw sauerkraut and kim chee all contain probiotics.’
- ‘Interestingly enough, the smell reminded me immediately of kefir, the yogurt-like fermented milk I love so much.’
- ‘Foods containing these bacteria include yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, miso, and tempeh.’
- ‘Harsh products, chlorinated water, certain drugs and refined sugar and flour throw our internal ecology off balance, while yogurt, kefir, quality probiotics and other measures can heal it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.