One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sour-tasting drink make from cow's milk fermented with certain bacteria.
- ‘Fermented milk products like yogurt and kefir have a long and exotic history.’
- ‘A nursing mother should eat several servings daily of yogurt, kefir, and buttermilk as well.’
- ‘Other fermented and probiotic foods include yogurt, kefir, raise, and tempeh.’
- ‘Other low-fat dairy foods to make room for are low-fat cheese, skim milk, kefir and low-fat cottage cheese.’
- ‘It is also pretty similar in taste to the Middle-Eastern kefir (also drunk in Russia and Eastern Europe) or the Central Asian koumys.’
- ‘Foods containing these bacteria include yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, miso, and tempeh.’
- ‘Probiotics are available in several forms - through the active cultures found in yogurt, kefir and other dairy products, as well as in capsules, pills and freeze-dried powders.’
- ‘Yogurt, kefir, miso, raw sauerkraut and kim chee all contain probiotics.’
- ‘Popular nonalcoholic beverages other than fruit juices include Turkish-style coffee, a thin yogurt drink called kefir, and a tea known as salep.’
- ‘Interestingly enough, the smell reminded me immediately of kefir, the yogurt-like fermented milk I love so much.’
- ‘Like yogurt, kefir is chock full of beneficial bacteria and calcium, but it comes in the form of a fruity creamy drink - no spoon needed!’
- ‘Harsh products, chlorinated water, certain drugs and refined sugar and flour throw our internal ecology off balance, while yogurt, kefir, quality probiotics and other measures can heal it.’
- ‘When subjects consumed dairy foods after a 12-hour fast, kefir produced only half the amount of flatulence as 2 percent milk.’
- ‘During a yearlong period ending in early September, sales of flavored milk grew 5.5 percent, while sales of packaged milkshakes, soymilk, kefir and milk substitutes also experienced substantial increases.’
- ‘If the name sounds vaguely familiar, it's because most of us know this microscopic life form as acidophilus, an ingredient commonly found in yogurt, kefir and a few fermented foods.’
- ‘Certain milk products are easier for some lactose-intolerant people to digest, including cultured foods like buttermilk, yogurt and kefir.’
- ‘Fermented foods such as miso and sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, and cultured dairy products like yogurt, kefir, sour cream, and cheese contain beneficial bacteria.’
- ‘Change the microbial population in your body from bad to good by eating a probiotic diet rich in fermented foods and beverages like kefir and cultured veggies.’
- ‘At least once a day, eat a small serving of tempeh, unpasteurized sauerkraut, whole-grain rye bread, or unsweetened kefir.’
- ‘The smaller of them contained a hot, spiced drink similar to kefir or lassi, thick and slightly alcoholic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.