One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance, especially cannabis, smoked to produce a drowsy state.
- ‘You might also hear the names Aunt Mary, skunk, boom, gangster, kif or ganja.’
- ‘The buyer sampled the buds and sniffed at the kif.’
- ‘And in recent times, the medical applications of this venerable herb known severally as grass, weed, pot, cannabis, dope, jay, skunk, kif, or ganja have been documented by reputable professionals.’
- ‘In the Rif Mountains, large quantities of marijuana, called kif, are grown for profit.’
- ‘Many Middle Eastern and Northern African cultures have used cannabis for sexual purposes in a potent form known as kif as recently as the early 20th Century.’
Early 19th century: from Arabic kayf ‘enjoyment, well-being’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.