One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Provide general hospitality.
- ‘He keeps open house for all those farmers and people who want to do ecological restoration and conservation at the micro level.’
- ‘The divorcee was a ‘sexual adventurer’ who had a series of casual and serious lovers and kept open house at her home.’
- ‘He kept open house in his office, a small, single-storey building.’
- ‘They tap into the collective memory of feudal lords keeping open house in medieval great halls - and of Victorian millionaires serving lavish dinners to jaded princes in pseudo-medieval mansions.’
- ‘Here she kept open house for the traveller, the poor and those in need of help.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.