One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Provide general hospitality.
- ‘He keeps open house for all those farmers and people who want to do ecological restoration and conservation at the micro level.’
- ‘He kept open house in his office, a small, single-storey building.’
- ‘Here she kept open house for the traveller, the poor and those in need of help.’
- ‘They tap into the collective memory of feudal lords keeping open house in medieval great halls - and of Victorian millionaires serving lavish dinners to jaded princes in pseudo-medieval mansions.’
- ‘The divorcee was a ‘sexual adventurer’ who had a series of casual and serious lovers and kept open house at her home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.