One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who wails or sings in grief for a dead person.
- ‘They spent a total of 1,000 yuan on hiring the keeners, all poor men and women who were mobilized to form a band on their own.’
- ‘In the end the keeners stalked the funeral processions screaming and shrieking all the more like vengeful banshees and had to be chased by the priests.’
- ‘In all kinds of societies throughout human history professional mourners, wailers or keeners, have been paid to produce hireling tears.’
- ‘At times there are echoes of the raw Gaelic keeners who sang the songs of the dispossessed.’
2Canadian British informal, dialect A person who is extremely eager, zealous, or enthusiastic.‘keeners who spent most of high school buried in homework’
- ‘In standard teen movies, they would be the overachieving geeks, the keeners that spent most of high school either buried in homework or watching geeky shows.’
- ‘For you keeners out there, "highly active" is classified as 12,500 steps per day.’
- ‘For adult astronomy keeners or for kids with some scientific enthusiasm, Skywatcher's Inn is delightful.’
- ‘This is the kind of show that has you blathering like a wide-eyed teenage keener for weeks afterwards.’
- ‘My limits of being a nerdy keener were always tested with assigned reading lists in university.’
- ‘If you leave the voting to those keeners who were in line on Tuesday morning, then you might as well get used to not having a vote at all.’
- ‘I was met at the airport by a couple of students: Alejandro, a keener in horn-rimmed nerd glasses, and Monica, a smart but silent type.’
- ‘Being the resourceful individuals that we are, we soon moved up into empty front-row-center seats that some keeners paid $100 a piece for.’
- ‘I am going to confess to being a little bit of a keener, I did mine yesterday and did not go drinking.’
- ‘Their eighth full-length album is still in the works, but keeners can get an early listen as they will test driving some new tracks at this gig.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.