One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A European dish consisting chiefly of fish, rice, and hard-boiled eggs.
- ‘The menu is a fusion of modern Scottish, European and Asian influences: kedgeree risotto comes with a mild curry crème fraîche, while the grilled salmon arrives with spinach and pesto noodles and roast cherry tomatoes.’
- ‘There has been spluttering and coughing over the kedgeree and alfalfa crêpes at the Edinburgh Festival this year.’
- ‘I like smoked fish in general, I'm found of rice dishes, and my mum used to make kedgeree, so it's a done deal, really.’
- ‘The breakfast ranges from a full fry-up through salmon fishcakes, vanilla waffles, scrambled egg and smoked salmon, Craster kippers with poached eggs, home-made kedgeree and fruit compote with creamed yoghurt.’
- ‘They both smoke well, too, as my mum's fine kedgerees have so eloquently testified down the decades.’
- ‘Could I salvage some form of kedgeree with tinned tuna?’
- ‘Breakfasts are an Edwardian affair, with kedgeree, poached eggs and kippers, in Mrs Carnegie's dining-room, which still sports its original silk wallpaper.’
- ‘Some dishes are British, like the delicious kedgeree (a Scottish dish of rice and fish)’
- ‘In the hospitality at Chelsea last week, a Russian was serving kedgeree.’
- ‘Apart from kedgeree and rice pudding, rice doesn't feature much in the everyday Scottish diet, hence the problem we have cooking it.’
- ‘This recipe is a bit like a kedgeree cake, I suppose - with high-protein smoked fish, medium-fat Parmesan cheese and eggs, plus spinach, rich in vitamins and folic acid.’
- ‘Traditionally, kedgeree is a little bit soupy, but tastes vary, and you might like it drier or wetter.’
- ‘Sarah had kedgeree which looked gorgeous but I didn't taste it, and Peter had pot-roasted lamb with swede.’
- ‘The book aims to to initiate the French into the delights of kedgeree, welsh rarebit, sticky toffee and Christmas puddings.’
- ‘Some of the wartime recipes you will find are rhubarb bread pudding, nettle champ, Irish stew with venison, kedgeree, hardtime omelette and mock plum pudding.’
- ‘Instead of dumbing himself down, Hix wants to smarten us up, giving us the confidence to cook something more ambitious than kedgeree or fish pie (although recipes for both are included).’
- ‘For a main course I ordered a kedgeree of salmon and haddock with curry butter.’
- ‘There was also a mouth-watering kedgeree with smoked salmon and plenty of tea and coffee to wash it all down.’
- ‘This weekend I plan to cook kedgeree for the first time. I'll let you know how it pans out.’
- ‘Two that caught my eye were salmon loaf with salad and smoked salmon with kedgeree.’
2An Indian dish consisting chiefly of rice, lentils, onions, and eggs.
- ‘During the 19th century, a wide range of beers, would have been sent out from Britain to our soldiers and administrators in India to be consumed alongside curries, kedgerees and spicy foods.’
- ‘This is far from your average Indian cookbook with over 130 recipes including Mustard-Flavoured Tandoori-Style King Prawns with Saffron Kedgeree.’
- ‘The rice is combined with vegetables or meat to make the popular pilaus or pilafs, birianis or kedgerees, which the British imported from India and these days are seen on menus in many restaurants in Britain.’
From Hindi khichṛī; see khichri.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.