One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of pieces of meat, fish, or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer or spit.
- ‘Outdoors is a grill from which you can order various flame-grilled meats including kebabs, steaks and meatballs.’
- ‘Pizzas are grilled, and kebabs threaded with bread between the chunks of meat, to soak up their juices as they cook.’
- ‘It's best used when grilling kabobs, burgers, chops and steaks.’
- ‘Important categories of dishes which have a Moghul origin include: pilaf and biriani dishes; kebabs, kormas, and koftas; tandoor dishes; samosas.’
- ‘There is a wide array of culinary choices, including pizza, kebabs, falafel, hamburgers, and Chinese cuisine.’
Late 17th century: from Arabic kabāb, partly via Urdu, Persian, and Turkish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.