One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knockout.‘a sixth-round kayo’
death blow, finishing blow, killing, dispatchView synonyms
- ‘Americans of all ages love a guy who climbs off the canvas, shakes his head to clear it, then goes right back to trying for a kayo.’
- ‘Greg then went on a successful tour of Europe, in which he scored an important kayo victory over Jose Urtain.’
- ‘By the end of 1979 Tex had reeled off 13 straight kayo wins.’
- ‘Bernard's thirty-one kayos in forty-four fights will attest to his success in using this theory.’
- ‘In 1959 he scored four straight kayos two of which were over rugged Joe Shaw and talented Al Andrews.’
- ‘A kayo loss to Jean Claude Bouttier in France in 1972 finished Doyle as a serious contender.’
- ‘From November 7, 1981 through September 18, 1982 Spinks makes five defenses of his WBA title scoring five kayo's.’
- ‘‘I'm a defensive specialist,’ he stated, which helps to explain his successful avoidance of a kayo 239 of his losses; the man hates getting hit.’
- ‘Following his disastrous kayo losses to Cassius Clay, Sonny was written off by the experts.’
- ‘The kayo punch pinched a nerve in his neck and shelved his career.’
verbkayoing, kayoes, kayoed[with object]Boxing
Knock (someone) out.‘he was kayoed by Patterson in the sixth round’‘it's a software virus that kayoes computer systems’
knocked out, insensible, senseless, insentient, insensate, passed out, comatose, in a coma, inertView synonyms
- ‘Would he have kayoed Williams had he not hurt his knee?’
- ‘One month before Ellis defeated Quarry, Joe Frazier kayoed his amateur nemesis Buster Mathis in eleven rounds.’
- ‘He needs to learn defense because the first guy to put some venom behind a straight punch kayoed him with it.’
- ‘It was great you called him ignorant because he was trying to make you look bad on national TV and you kayoed him.’
- ‘Williams won the undisputed title in 1947 by kayoing his one-time conqueror, Bob Montgomery.’
1920s: representing the pronunciation of KO.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.