One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, typically green, long-horned grasshopper native to North America. The male makes a characteristic sound that resembles the name.
Microcentrum and other genera, family Tettigoniidae
- ‘That winter, the night we built our first big fire, we also hatched out about a million katydids, or as some folk call them, camel crickets.’
- ‘Members of the grasshopper family, including crickets, locusts, and katydids, hear with small disks near one of the front leg joints.’
- ‘Short-winged female meadow katydids discriminate among tremulation signals of males to choose a larger male, even in the absence of a signalling male.’
- ‘It is a mournful silence, broken only by the eternal singing of the katydids.’
- ‘From every quarter throbbed peepers and katydids and locusts.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.