Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Dried fish prepared in hard blocks from skipjack tuna and used in Japanese cooking.
- ‘Skim as much katsuobushi as possible from top of pot; remove from heat and strain through colander lined with cheesecloth.’
- ‘Try to remove the katsuobushi while it's still floating on the surface, before it has a chance to sink.’
- ‘Just before the water boils, add the katsuobushi flakes.’
- ‘In a saucepan add a small amount of water, katsuobushi, shiitake mushroom or niboshi (dried sardines).’
- ‘Let the katsuobushi settle to the bottom for 2 minutes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.