One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Landscape underlain by limestone which has been eroded by dissolution, producing ridges, towers, fissures, sinkholes and other characteristic landforms.
- ‘The sequence overlies Upper Triassic to Upper Cretaceous rocks and locally covers Palaeogene karst bauxite deposits.’
- ‘Subsidence sinkholes are diagnostic landforms of karst, which form in unconsolidated soils or drift deposits overlying cavernous limestone.’
- ‘All of these were vertical shaft caves or caves with steeply sloped entrances located in the limestone-dolostone karst of the Valley and Ridge physiographic province.’
- ‘The road in Guangxi is relatively good, with at least two paved lanes; the route is quite scenic, with typical karst landscape all along the way.’
- ‘The underlying limestone karst topography allows water to flow in abundant underground rivers, feeding the numerous springs, which flow into the many creeks and streams.’
Late 19th century: from German der Karst, the name of a limestone region in Slovenia.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.