One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Asian system of unarmed combat using the hands and feet to deliver and block blows, widely practiced as a sport. It was formalized in Okinawa in the 17th century and popularized via Japan after about 1920. Karate is performed barefoot in loose padded clothing, with a colored belt indicating the level of skill, and involves mental as well as physical training.
- ‘He spent nearly a year studying kendo, karate and other Japanese martial arts.’
- ‘It gives me a chance to bring back all the fond memories I have of my karate training days.’
- ‘I have a blackbelt in karate, but that doesn't prepare you for all that wire work.’
- ‘Her black belt from karate was the only thing that would give her ability to fight away.’
- ‘Chris gained his black belt in both karate and judo almost 25 years ago.’
- ‘She whomps the male agents in the gym in karate and judo workouts and packs a mean punch.’
- ‘She clenched her fists in front of her chest but I was the one with a black belt in karate.’
- ‘He also runs regularly and has taken up two different martial arts - karate and wing chun, a form of tai chi.’
- ‘Samantha has trained in karate and helps to teach other youngsters the martial art.’
- ‘It is a fact that karate, judo, kendo, and iaido are much easier to learn than aikido.’
- ‘I teach karate at one of my three martial arts clubs, in Gourock, Greenock and Erskine.’
- ‘First we did judo and karate, then Zacarias played handball and I played basketball.’
- ‘Most of us in karate or other martial arts were taught to form a basic closed fist.’
- ‘The women who take karate will be testing for their black belts within the next six months.’
- ‘Even if you are in a contact sport like rugby, boxing or karate, you should know when your body needs a rest.’
- ‘Then she hired a fourth degree black belt in karate and did martial arts training.’
- ‘Abdel practises karate at the Nahadha Sports Club near Baghdad's city centre.’
- ‘Karate kicks, karate chops, these impress referees, but they were just added when it became a sport.’
- ‘The karate practitioners spar with each other while kick boxers flex and twist their limbs.’
- ‘He was already highly skilled in the martial arts, having obtained a black belt in karate.’
Japanese, from kara ‘empty’ + te ‘hand’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.