Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A measure of the purity of gold, pure gold being 24 karats.‘an ounce of 24-karat gold’
- ‘The spike, 69 inches long, was similarly computer-designed and machined, in stainless steel plated with 24 - karat gold.’
- ‘‘Because, Adam, this ‘little strip of metal’ is thirty-six karat gold,’ she stated matter-of-factly, and I glared at her.’
- ‘Ornate gold necklaces, heavily engraved gold bangles and gold sovereigns - eight grams of pure 22 - karat gold - dance across the television screen.’
- ‘Look for surgical-grade steel, titanium, 14-or 18 - karat gold, or a metal called niobium.’
- ‘Hers is an 18 - karat gold ring with a ruby or other precious stone.’
- ‘This was a coin with a guaranteed weight of 8 grammes of 22 - karat gold.’
- ‘The base itself is made up of a near-transparent orange shell, and a 21 karat plated copper base.’
- ‘For gold, high karats mean intense color but less durability.’
- ‘Jerry designed the enormous frames, which are all hand-carved, layered with red clay and water gilded with 22 - karat gold.’
- ‘This piece features two small Plexiglas boxes set on a high pedestal, each containing five bullets of different gauges with rounded or pointed heads, which the artist had cast in 22 - karat gold.’
- ‘Opening it, he showed her a beautiful diamond, surrounded by 14 karat white gold.’
- ‘As a final touch, the serigraphs were accented with 24 - karat gold.’
- ‘A lower karat number indicates a lower percentage of true gold mixed together with a higher percentage of added metals, which makes, nicely enough, for a stronger ring.’
- ‘As for the vital stats of the bauble, it is bejewelled with 8,000 diamonds weighing 200 karats, set in over a kilo of 18 - karat pink gold.’
- ‘‘Belladonna’ measures 40 by 32 inches and will be released in a paper and a canvas edition - both are hand embellished by the artist with 24 karat solid gold.’
- ‘The 10-inch Bowie knife depicts the bighorn sheep in its native range and is etched and highlighted with 24 - karat gold, copper and silver.’
- ‘The statuette is made from the alloy Britannia and electroplated in copper, nickel, and silver, then hand-dipped in 24 - karat gold.’
- ‘Ninety percent of the store's offerings are gilded in 22 to 23 karats or 12 - karat white gold, according to Carroll.’
- ‘They are framed in hand-gilded, 22 - karat gold and include a blue-green lacquer insert to highlight the beauty of the flowers.’
- ‘The weights - made of zinc and plated with 24 - karat gold - are non-magnetic and durable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.