One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meson having a mass several times that of a pion.
- ‘In this scheme, quark-antiquark pairs form kaons, pions, and other mesons, while triplets of quarks form protons, neutrons, and numerous heavier cousins that appeared in accelerator experiments.’
- ‘In particular, it would rule out a ‘soft ‘equation of state for the core of the star, which includes Bose-Einstein condensates of kaons, hyperons and pions.’’
- ‘Both laboratories found significant differences associated with time in the activity of neutral particles called kaons.’
- ‘In turn, these decay into other subatomic particles, like kaons and pions.’
- ‘One linear combination of those states is involved in the production of the neutral kaon particles, and another linear combination is involved in their disintegration.’
1950s: from ka representing the letter K (as a symbol for the particle) + -on.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.