One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people living mainly in Kanara, a district in southwestern India.
- ‘These are Klings and not Kanarese, because the people of this province of Talimgo are more graceful.’
- ‘The great majority of Kanarese (85.9 percent) are Hindus, but 11.1 percent of the state's population is Muslim and 2.1 percent Christian.’
2another term for Kannada
- ‘Beals only spoke Kanarese so it was difficult for him to stay in a village where another language was spoken.’
- ‘The Dravidian languages have all and the same word for medicine and gunpowder; in Tamil marundu, in Telugu mandu, in Kanarese maddu, and in Malayalam, maruna.’
- ‘Beside the descriptive grammar based on the inscriptions there are numerous historical and comparative sections in the book, tracing the history of Kanarese.’
Relating to Kanara, its people, or their language.
- ‘I said above that the Kanarese alphabet is not quite suited to the Konkani language, because there are some sounds which cannot be expressed exactly by the Kanarese alphabet.’
- ‘The society is committed to the promotion and publication of Kanarese literature.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.