One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural Kambas, Plural Wakamba
1A member of a people of central Kenya, ethnically related to the Kikuyu.
- ‘The poverty of their land ensured that the Kamba remained less affected by European colonisation than the related Kikuyu.’
- ‘The Bantu-speaking Kamba are numerically Kenya's fourth most numerous people.’
- ‘The Kamba is the main cultural group of this region of Kenya.’
- ‘The origin of Fundi Mdawalo's craft echoes the better-known story of the origins of commercial woodcarving among the Kamba of Kenya.’
- ‘These designs are not new for the Kamba, given that the ceremonial wooden staff once used in boys' initiation rites was engraved by the elders with designs and signs that the boys and girls had to decipher in a game similar to charades.’
2The Bantu language of the Kamba.
- ‘We've also moved on to the other languages like Kikuyu, Kamba, Kesee, Luiya, Luiyo - which have not finished.’
- ‘The Kamba have attracted surprisingly little attention.’
- ‘Kamba is of the Niger-Congo family of languages spoken by a total of about 2500000 in Kenya.’
- ‘Other ethnic languages include Luo, Kikuyu, Kamba, Luyia, Gusii, and Kalenjin, which are usually spoken at home.’
Relating to the Kamba or their language.
- ‘The Kamba people are very well known for their wood carving skills and basket making.’
- ‘If one asks a Kamba sculptor (or in Tanzania, a Zaramo one) why he chooses to represent the Maasai and not someone from his own community, there is a short answer and a longer, more complex one.’
- ‘Indeed, many pieces of Kamba beadwork, with their perfect alignment of figures, look like puzzles waiting to be deciphered.’
- ‘Following Kenyan independence in 1963, the Maasai faced competition for land with Kikuyu and Kamba farmers moving off the highlands as their populations increased.’
- ‘The Kamba royalty was often not talked about and the history behind the royalty is not well known.’
A local name.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.