Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A deified ancestral spirit in the mythology of Pueblo Indians.
- ‘The manifestations of spirits, the katsinas, are of supreme importance to the Hopi.’
- ‘Among the Hopi, the kachinas are said to live in the San Francisco peaks near Flagstaff.’
- ‘This style is also worn by the Longhair kachina, one of the important Hopi spirits who live in the Peaks and bring rain to Hopiland.’
- ‘It's not like me telling people; it's the kachina spirits.’
- ‘Next is a sumptuously textured, very abstract picture of three katsinas whose blurry appearance represents the intermediary between the spiritual and physical world.’
- 1.1A person who represents a kachina spirit in ceremonial dances.
- ‘Some ceremonials, such as the Zuni Shalakos, feature kachinas in ten-foot high costumes.’
- ‘As with the turquoise mortgage of the katsina clowns, the idea of reciprocity is central.’
- ‘Warrior katsinas arrive to punish the clowns for licentious behavior and teach them good Hopi behavior: modest and quiet in conduct, careful and decorous in speech, abstemious and sharing about food, and unselfish about other things.’
- ‘The ripe corn is eaten; corn pollen and meal are used in kiva ceremonies and at kachina dances.’
- 1.2A small carved figure representing a kachina spirit.
- ‘Silver jewelry, kachinas, and painted pots authenticate the experience by providing a connection to the history, lifeways, and people of the area.’
- ‘Commercial art includes the making of kachina dolls, silver jewelry, woven baskets, and pottery.’
- ‘Authentic katsina dolls are more than art - they're tangible connections to an ancient culture.’
- ‘As the rugs, baskets, ceramics, katsinas, etc., etc., etc. quickly sell, Opice must get the sales information into his database.’
- ‘Taught by his uncle, Leo has been carving katsinas for more than 20 years, starting at the age of 15.’
From Hopi kacina supernatural of Keres origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.