Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect.‘the juxtaposition of these two images’
comparison, contrastView synonyms
- ‘Note the coincidental juxtaposition of these two Summer-themed songs.’
- ‘Another interesting thread is the juxtaposition of traditional and contemporary practice.’
- ‘A kind of levelling has taken place, in which works co-exist in democratic if sometimes odd juxtapositions.’
- ‘Such are the juxtapositions of this holiday season.’
- ‘The magazine had a history of such juxtapositions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.