One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a group of structures secreting regulatory hormones into the arteriole which leads into a glomerulus in the kidney.
- ‘The macula densa and JG cells are jointly called the juxtaglomerular apparatus.’
- ‘If GFR decreases, the filtrate ion concentration decreases; juxtaglomerular cells then dilate the afferent arteriole and renin is released.’
- ‘Renin is secreted from the juxtaglomerular apparatus of the kidney in response to glomerular underperfusion or a reduced salt intake.’
- ‘Blood pressure is regulated by the secretion of renin from the juxtaglomerular apparatus which increases reabsorption.’
- ‘A drop in pressure results in the release of renin from the juxtaglomerular cells of the kidneys.’
1930s: from Latin juxta ‘near to’ + glomerular (see glomerulus).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.