One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in French cuisine) a thin gravy or sauce made from meat juices.‘chicken with a rich game jus’
relish, dressing, condiment, ketchup, flavouringView synonyms
- ‘For the lamb sauce, in a medium saucepan, heat the lamb jus over medium heat.’
- ‘The spiced pork was flavoured only delicately, and a touch on the dry side, but that just allowed it to soak up the rich jus with more gusto.’
- ‘In French meat cookery, jus is roughly equivalent to honestly made thin gravy in the British tradition.’
- ‘Whole roast grouse may still come with game chips and bread sauce but there is game jus rather than over-thickened gravy.’
- ‘A big plate of oxtail was many strong bones heaving with lean meat and dark flavour, the jus a little thinner than in a truly ideal world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.