Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the second period of the Mesozoic era, between the Triassic and Cretaceous periods.
- ‘These crucial means of breeding prevailed throughout the Jurassic and Cretaceous times.’
- ‘The thickness of the Jurassic and Cretaceous cover sediments is relatively thin and the Variscan was the last major erogenic event to have affected the region.’
- ‘Until recently, sauropod body fossils and ichnofossils were known only from Jurassic and Cretaceous sediments.’
- ‘Of the three Triassic and Jurassic fossiliferous formations, no angular fragments were found from the shell beds.’
- ‘Striated fault planes exposed in Mesozoic limestones and Triassic / Jurassic volcanic rocks delineate the surface trace of the fault.’
- 1.1as noun the Jurassic The Jurassic period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Mid 19th century: from French jurassique; named after the Jura Mountains (see Jura).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.