One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high-yield, high-risk security, typically issued by a company seeking to raise capital quickly in order to finance a takeover.
- ‘A rising star may still be a junk bond but on its way to being investment quality.’
- ‘This was the era of the junk bond, and the beginning of what became the vast financial-derivatives bubble which is exploding the financial system of the world today.’
- ‘There is no improvement noted in the tattered junk bond market, as the Bloomberg junk bond spread widened 18 basis points to a record 702.’
- ‘With the average junk bond yielding 12.92%, or 7.6 percentage points more than Treasuries, Simon says the sector offers a good risk-reward tradeoff.’
- ‘A collapsing junk bond market and an abrupt withdrawal of new finance for the telecom / Internet sector ushered in the bursting of the NASDAQ Bubble.’
- ‘Meanwhile, with liquidity returning to the credit market, the junk bond sector is once again getting geared up to sell paper.’
- ‘The junk bond market came to life, with $25 billion issued (compared to about $4 billion during the fourth quarter).’
- ‘Lee became somewhat of a pioneer in the Asian junk bond market and developed a reputation for his ability to raise cash for fast-growing companies.’
- ‘One prominent rumor had a major securities firm with losses in the junk bond market, perhaps as much as $1 billion.’
- ‘Yet the growth of hostile takeovers, junk bond finance, and corporate raiding tilted the balance of power over the course of the decade away from managers towards shareholders.’
- ‘For the hundreds of cash-burning companies created during this protracted cycle, there is now the harsh reality that the junk bond market is closed and most banks are running for cover.’
- ‘If a junk bond's issuer miraculously recovers, however, the bond's price soars.’
- ‘In the midst of a global equity rout, the junk bond and U.S. corporate bond market remains wide open for business.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.