Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A team representing a high school or college at the level below varsity in a sport or other competition.‘the junior varsity was made up of sophomores’[as modifier] ‘the junior varsity squad’
- ‘But the team piles up the points by taking part in lots of tournaments, mostly at the novice and junior varsity level.’
- ‘That's simply unacceptable for a junior varsity team, much less a team with Super Bowl aspirations.’
- ‘In 1947 he transferred to the University of Michigan, where he played football on the junior varsity squad.’
- ‘Many schools also offer a full Junior Varsity schedule for their players in the second 10 on their line-up.’
- ‘At the time, 1991, Mick was the junior varsity coach at Woodward High, a Cincinnati public school.’
- ‘Not only did he fail to make the Washington varsity, he also failed to make the junior varsity.’
- ‘He is told he is not ready and he is sent to the junior varsity team for two years.’
- ‘He also coached boys' and girls' junior high basketball, junior high football, and junior varsity baseball.’
- ‘Wesley was thoroughly American, a cornerback on his high school's junior varsity football team.’
- ‘His first year at SFU was highlighted by securing a spot on the junior varsity basketball team.’
- 1.1[as modifier]Of lesser significance or proficiency.‘they use distortion pedals to mask their junior varsity musicianship’
- ‘Leading with an incongruous, junior varsity tribute to Markus Popp, "Always Alone" presents a scratched-up, stripped-down remix of Manual's by-now familiar guitar and synth moans.’
- ‘The mindless, sloganeering choruses of their drum machine ditties approximate a junior varsity Andrew WK cover band, and their headbanger junkie image - real or not - is laughed offstage.’
- ‘"You don't have to view them as junior varsity politicians to see that their political views and economic predilections have some influence on what they do," said Jeff Shesol, whose most recent book chronicled the New Deal battles between the Supreme Court and President Franklin D. Roosevelt.’
- ‘Their first full-length album houses only a pair of questionable junior varsity elements.’
- ‘One of the reporters just said that the country was part of the "junior varsity Axis of Evil."’
- ‘The band's debut comes across like a junior varsity KILLER'S KISS, with the same sort of big 2-guitar sound, handclaps and snaky keyboards that scream "beer run!"’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.