Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A southern Asian game bird related to the domestic fowl, typically frequenting forested country.→ fowl
- ‘Red junglefowl have been mostly genetically interbred with domestic and feral chickens, as a survey of 745 museum specimens has shown.’
- ‘Heavier female junglefowl produced larger eggs and began laying earlier, but did not lay more eggs per clutch.’
- ‘They showed a similar effect in paired-choice tests of red junglefowl, whereby females mate at random when neither male has the threshold ornament value.’
- ‘They are already using the junglefowl's new gene sequence to begin searching for agriculturally important variations in the genomes of three types of domestic chicken.’
- ‘She studied the interactions between physiology and behavior in pheasants in Britain, India, and Thailand, and in 1992 came to the United States to research junglefowl at the University of California, at Riverside.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.