One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garment incorporating trousers and a sleeved top in one piece, worn as a fashion item, protective garment, or uniform.
- ‘Trade in her hideous orange jumpsuit for her usual couture!’
- ‘This uniform is a lot better than those tight jumpsuits we wore back in the day.’
- ‘As the man got to his feet, firm muscles were outlined beneath the jumpsuit's sleeves.’
- ‘He wore clothing that looked like a cross between a tuxedo and a jumpsuit.’
- ‘I had the cloths for various jobs and classes, brown jumpsuits of workers, white business suits, yellow lab coats, and an array of green service outfits.’
- ‘He was wearing a white jumpsuit with some weird silver symbol on the shoulder.’
- ‘Among the garments are smart jumpsuits and form-fitting cardigans, loose sweat pants and comfortable singlets, and even party wear such as cropped tops and wraparound skirts.’
- ‘They all wore matching dull silver jumpsuits, and all had shaved heads.’
- ‘Dressed in an orange jumpsuit and blue rubber slippers, he started running.’
- ‘We love jumpsuits because they are everything fashion should be: flattering, easy to wear, sexy and hip.’
- ‘He zipped up the black jumpsuit and gathered up as much ammo as he could carry.’
- ‘Lauren has regularly used band collars, epaulets, braid, pea coats, aviators' jumpsuits, and military tailoring as signs of crisp, effective women's attire.’
- ‘One example was dressing hostages in orange jumpsuits to mimic U.S. treatment of detainees.’
- ‘I was dressed in a black jumpsuit, a black coat, and black pants.’
- ‘Participants are being urged to get into the spirit by pulling on tight trousers or a spangly jumpsuit.’
- ‘Some changed back into their uniform jumpsuits, but most just stayed in their underclothing.’
- ‘The pale blue of the wall sharply accented their silver jumpsuits, as they tried their best to remain ‘incognito’.’
- ‘They usually dress in stylish gray jumpsuits befitting of party animals.’
- ‘They are stocky guys with full-faced helmets, gloves, and yellow jumpsuits made out of some thick material.’
- ‘Their silver jumpsuits and oversized sunglasses added more flavor to the moves.’
1940s (originally US): so named because it was first used to denote a parachutist's garment.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.