One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A calisthenic jump done from a standing position with legs together and arms at the sides to a position with the legs apart and the arms over the head.
- ‘After a minute passes they jumped to a standing position and began doing jumping jacks.’
- ‘Walk in place, up and down your stairs, and/or do low-impact jumping jacks for a combined total of five minutes before training.’
- ‘Over the course of 18 months, I drifted slowly from 220 toward 170, adding in light exercise (walking, jumping jacks, situps).’
- ‘During ads, march in place one minute, do 15 jumping jacks, another minute of marching, 10 squats, 10 alternating knee lifts, 10 kicks.’
- ‘Always start with a ten-minute warm-up - running in place or jumping jacks.’
- ‘I'm in the middle of my jumping jacks when someone yells, ‘Isabelle!’’
- ‘Warm up with a dynamic, all-body exercise like jumping jacks.’
- ‘Bruce came into the classroom, doing jumping jacks.’
- ‘When stress hits, encourage your child to jog around the block, take a bike ride, do jumping jacks.’
- ‘Maybe Gianna was in her room doing jumping jacks.’
- ‘To do it yourself, simply alternate between strength moves and cardio stations such as stair climbing, sprints and jumping jacks.’
- ‘We had to do jumping jacks, push-ups, stuff like that.’
- ‘Get a cardio boost by jogging in place or doing jumping jacks.’
- ‘For a cardio bonus, do 30 seconds of jogging, marching, jumping jacks or split-lunge jumps immediately after each move, then go on to the next move.’
- ‘Some people do jumping jacks, some sort of dance.’
- ‘To do this one, stand with your arms out and your feet apart as though you were doing a jumping jack.’
- ‘This can include walking to school, soccer practice, jumping jacks or playing with the dog.’
- ‘You won't be getting up and doing jumping jacks for a while.’
- ‘We did a 3 mile jog, 100 sit ups, 200 jumping jacks, a rope climb, weight lifting, and 20 laps in the pool.’
- ‘Gene stretched out his arms and did a few jumping jacks.’
2A toy figure of a man, with movable limbs.
jumping jack/ˈjəmpiNG ˌjak/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.