One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- informal term for transposon
- ‘Another, more speculative hypothesis is that perhaps fungi, which live within the roots of many distantly related plants, served as a conduit for the jumping genes.’
- ‘If someone develops some ideal dairy cow and wants to clone it he does not want jumping genes creating variations that cause some of them clones to produce less milk.’
- ‘In 1997, in another study, University of Minnesota researchers took defunct, non-functioning jumping genes from fish and made the genes jump again.’
- ‘Next, they scanned the genomes of these microbes for jumping genes.’
- ‘Eventually he worked out the source of that extra DNA: It was a transposon, also known as a jumping gene.’
jumping gene/ˈjəmpiNG ˌjēn/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.