One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of thick electric cables fitted with clips at either end, used for starting a vehicle by connecting its dead battery to the battery of another vehicle; a jumper cable.
- ‘However, the engine roared into life with suitable application of jump leads to the empty space once occupied by a battery.’
- ‘It is also recommended to carry a jack, jump leads, spare fuses and a torch.’
- ‘I got into the habit of starting it up with jump leads every time I needed it.’
- ‘No problem I thought, as I grabbed the jump leads and opened the bonnets of both cars.’
- ‘And my car is usually on the receiving end of the jump leads, so I'm not sure it would be any use.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.