A jet aircraft that can take off and land vertically, without need of a runway.
- ‘The Royal Air Force and Royal Navy are to get the world's most advanced supersonic jump jets to replace the Sea Harrier aircraft, it was announced yesterday.’
- ‘‘The Marines are desperate to replace their Harrier jump jet, which is old and tired,’ says Blackwell.’
- ‘In the skies above Devon and Cornwall, 800 Naval Air Squadron's Commanding Officer Cdr Paul Stone took up his jump jet for almost the last time.’
- ‘But in the mountains of Afghanistan often all it takes for insurgents to take to their heels is the appearance of a Harrier jump jet screaming overhead.’
- ‘‘This is new in the way that helicopters were new or Harrier jump jets were new,’ he said.’